Monday, March 31, 2008

More on ACDF

So for the first time in awhile, I realized I want to teach something: House dancing...with an emphasized blend of Breaking on the latter.


By Friday I was getting fed up with the kids from SMC, along with the whole program itself. I hadn't gotten any sleep and my injuries were still aggrivating me (at the time I was suffering from a jammed rib and a funky hamstring muscle). I got up early so I could make the most of going to all the classes that day.

I went to a gyrokenesis class that was very boring.
Then to a "teaching strategies" class that I didn't learn from as much as I hoped to. We were basically taught a phrase, then chopped it up and found various ways to execute similar movements. They key was for us to find a way to work with other dancers' inabilities.
Next I went to Cunningham technique class. It wasn't too hard, but it felt like I was just doing ballet but barefoot; either way it was nice to become aware of what Cunningham technique was like.

After having lunch at this bomb place called the Veggie Grill, I walked over to the Tai Chi class with a cup of Chai Tea. Able to sneak into the class that was nearly full, it wasn't too long before I got extremeley bored. I was able to handle it for about the first hour, even after the many students left, but the whole hour and a half of super slow movements was excruciatingly boring--it was too high of a dosage for me to handle for my first time doing that form of movement.

Thereafter I went to a modern class that was way too advanced for me. I could have commited to it and probably caught on eventually, but I felt the class to be a higher level due to the very fast teaching and the level of the other students in the class who, I guess for comfort reasons, had taken that teacher before and were therefore familiar with her style.

I left to the hotel and came back to the concert. This time it was a bit more boring but the choreography had more elements of humor and acting. SMC also performed Daniel's peice. Somehow I got sick that night after putting on wet shorts for a minute. I don't know what to blame, but I think my self being stressed out is the culprit more than anything.

Saturday I wanted to wake up early, but having drunk the night before to help me sleep, I overslept. I didn't make it to the class I wanted to get to on time and my peers were disappointed that I didn't attend the American Dance Festival scholarship audition. Oh well.

This day everyone seemed much more relaxed. The environment felt a bit more welcoming and social. We went to the final concert. I didn't like any of the peices very much, except for the one performed by Cypress College, which was SICK!!! Too bad they didn't make it for the Gala show (the final show to showcase the "best" of the peices performed).

After the concert and after Lunch I took a modern class that was more at my level. While waiting for class to start I made the grave mistake of doing handstand/cirque/breakdance moves without warming up, and because I was sharing and displaying my skills in front of the other classmates, I injured my upperback/shoulders. I danced through the pain of the ijury through the entire class which, by the way, was freezing cold. I hate dancing in the cold. It make the body extremeley susceptible to injury, and is just miserable as my feet have a hard time staying warm. My body has to waste energy on keeping me warm when that energy could be used to protect my body and keep me at top grade performance, plus, the human body and all life on earth generally prefer warmth. It is no coincidnece that most of the plant and animal life on earth thrive closest to the equator.

The girls in that class were pretty hot too. Actually, there were many beautiful dancer girls there, but few to strike meaningful conversations with. The energy there was never very settled.

So I went back to the hotel to change for the Gala. Me and Yuki Decided not to stay the whole concert being that we had work the next morning, so we stayed 'til intermission and set out for the City of Angels. I chilled at Yuki's house for a bit, along were her roomates, elevated my status, and drove home.

What a long fuckin week.

No comments:

Who?

Los Angeles, CA, United States